Friday, July 20, 2007

Busted... again

Having children keeps you honest.

Scenario #1: We're getting ready to go outside. I have my arms full with Matthew and 14 other things. Hannah picks up her shoes that she wore to the park in the morning.

I say: "Hannah, please don't put your shoes on in the middle of the floor because they might have sand in them."

She turns one over just to see. Sand pours out.

I say in a plaintive tone, "PLEASE, Hannah! Mommy just asked you not to put your shoes on there because I don't want sand all over the kitchen floor. I just cleaned it!"

While I'm speaking, she's pouring more sand on the floor.

I continue my pleading (never plead with a 2-yr-old)instruction while Matthew's jumping out of my arms, the water's running, I'm trying to get sunscreen on him, etc. Once I can get to Hannah, I ask her why (never ask a 2-yr-old why) she didn't listen to Mommy, etc.

She says, "Mommy, don't whine."

(*Note: parenting lesson learned--tone of voice is not an effective disciplinary tool. Actions speak louder than words. If only I didn't have my darn hands full all the time!!! It's hard to get over to her to take her to a time-out, etc., right away.)

Scenario #2: Matthew is spitting out everything I offer him for breakfast. Not a great way to start the day (not to mention that he was up at 5:48am.) In frustration, I say, "Grrrrr. I don't know what you want, Buddy!"

Hannah chides, "Don't growl at Matthew!"

No comments: